Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dazed and Confused

It's been a lovely week of knowing there's no doctor appointments until next week. No test results, no decisions; but a trip to a doctor on Tuesday, one on Thursday, and one (into the city) on Friday.

During the first few days, though, I think I suffered some side effects from the medication that was supposed to be helping me sleep, the Ambien CR (controlled release.) There was the inability to focus, the confusion beyond the "normal" stuff that comes with constant anxiety - beyond, beyond, beyond. It was scary. Finally, late one night I surfed the internet to find lesser-known side effects to the medication. Daytime confusion and muscle pain. Hmmmm......

I added that information to what I already knew, which is that I absorb most all medication slowly in the first place. So after a sleepless night in which I refused to take even one more pill, I went from the internet to the pharmacist, who told me that this formulation is designed to work long-term, and not just over 8 hours of nighttime, but actually into the day! And on top of that, it builds up in your system over time.

Fortunately, my friends and family (YOU) were very understanding during my "temporary insanity."

The darned leg pain is still there, though, and at this point I'm not sure I'm hoping for the Lyme disease returning, a side effect of the Ambien CR (that hasn't worn off yet)or a side effect of my Crestor, which I've stopped taking for now.

I'm hoping that when I see our longtime GP Dr. Eskow and give him my usual amateur diagnosis of having something melodramatically wrong, he will say he doesn't want to make fun of my imagination (which he has to say to me a lot)and that it's a pinched nerve or something. Wow - who'd have thought I'd be hoping for a pinched nerve!

In addition to those people I see on a regular basis, so many others whom I haven't seen in ages are reaching out and offering support. Some of you are recounting your own stories of having gone through this and I thank you especially for sharing. You are sympathetic, knowledgeable, and honest and your advice is invaluable to me.

4 comments:

  1. Aren't medications fun? I know what you mean regarding the unintended side effects; hopefully they just are temporary.

    Anyway, I just want to wish you all the luck next week with the docs and to let you know you have Sheri and my support. You just need to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. It's interesting that for things like driving I was pretty clear and sharp (or at least as clear and sharp as usual) so this was a very strange kind of feeling. It was like I was watching myself from the outside and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - been reading the blog. You are quite the writer. Hang in there - good luck with all the Dr's appts next week and whatever the decision, you will all face it with strength and grace - and will get through it and move onward and upward afterward. Love the the grandchins. -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Non illegitimi carborundus--don't let the bastards wear you down!

    ReplyDelete