Accompanied (and chauffeured) by ace amazing friend Elyssa, I went for my first post-surgery follow up appointment. We got in early and were seen in record time. Today Dr. D's nurse took care of everything, and it was such a lovely visit. I didn't miss the witty verbal sparring that usually comes with time spent with this very smart, talented guy. Frankly, I had questions, I was kind of physically "pfft" and I just wanted to feel better. I know I'm not a billion years older than when I had my last surgery, but it seems a little tougher than it used to be.
However: I can now wear camisoles with the elastic support instead of the tight-banded bra. I can take a shower and soften up the bandages until they fall off. I can wash my hair and wear deodorant! (Doesn't seem like much until you're told you can't do it.) I can sleep, not quite on my side, but what they call "3/4" which I know how to do, requires lots of pillows, and is going to take a load off my back that I've been sleeping (or rather not sleeping) flat on with no movement for the last couple of nights.
I have to continue the every 6 hours valium, I CANNOT get back to my beloved Advil for at least until the drains come out (1-2 weeks) and I can't drive until absolutely all the anesthesia is gone for good, so at least until Monday. I've been told in no uncertain terms that the less activity I do, the less fluid I'll produce, and the less fluid, the sooner the drains go. (I have to produce less than 30 or 25 ml on each side in a day in order to be free of the annoying but familiar tethers.) No raising my arms higher than the top of my head, no picking up from the floor, no lifting, cooking, etc. This is by far the most limited in movement I think I've ever been told to be, post surgery. Remember how I said it feels tougher this time? Turns out it's not me, it's the kind of surgery I had. I am not a billion years older. Woohoo!
But apparently these new snazzy implants are going too be worth it, and he took out all the hardened scar tissue that had formed around the necrotic fat cells. (After years of watching "Bones" and other medical dramas, " necrotic fat" is a part of my everyday vocabulary, isn't that just delightful?)
I will say that I took a quick peek while Yue (the nurse) was un-mummifying me (muttering to herself something about why did they use SO MUCH gauze) and things look a bit more encouraging. Maybe I'll be able to see myself as a "girl" again someday for real! (Okay, even I heard that and I sound like Pinocchio.) But you get my drift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment