Monday, June 13, 2011

Zipper neck

I've had several "good looks" at the stitches since the bandage came off on Friday morning, and the whole effect is scarily similar to parts of Frankenstein's monster!  The line of stitches is about 4 times longer than the original "little pink itchy spot" ever was, but I was told (and it makes sense) that they need two parallel lines to make a nice (i.e. tiny) scar outcome and the surgery leaves more of an ellipse shaped wound.  At first glance, because the stitches are dark, it looks like there are a lot more of them than there actually are.  I've tried to take a couple of photos to show what they look like, but close-ups of that area make everything look pretty terrible (!) so you'll see me in person or use your imagination.................

They have to be washed twice a day, and always be covered with bacitracin or something similar.  I'm allowed to leave them uncovered (which eliminates the itch quite a bit) but since it looks a little scary to "others" I have a new stock of gigantic band aids.  Mind you, in my eyes the band aid draws more attention, again and again, while people wonder what's under there.  If they just saw the darn stitches, they'd know!  If the weather cooperates and does not become "stinkin' hot" again then I also have an assortment of scarves to accessorize and camouflage.  The stitches are scheduled to come out on June 23, but before that we have a prospective member BBQ and outdoor service/open house that hopefully will necessitate lots of tours and talking about (selling) the school.  I think band aid AND scarf for that :)

It's only sort of funny that now that I can go fairly low-cut and bra-less on occasion, that I have to cover up!  And on that side(s) of things, I am finding that there are many times going without a bra is actually uncomfortable.  I think there are still things healing, so the "pull" on the interior support work on the right actually stings if I twist the wrong way or pick up something heavy, or reach too high.  On the left, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a muscle used to being in one place and doing one job for over 50 years would take a lot of time to get used to its new surroundings and new job.  Talk about teaching an old dog new tricks!


You would think that all of last year would teach me perspective, or more patience, or whatever, for the healing process of this, relatively minor, surgery.  But noooooooooo.  I chafe at the itchy stitches, (and necessary band aids,) I'm tired of covering up, and I'm just a little short-tempered.  (Here I know I am being ridiculous, since it's only been since last Thursday, but if I can't kvetch (complain) here, then where?)

Although my constant supporter Rod has been incredibly patient (less the zipper neck comment, which he contributed) it's a busy time with a couple of graduation parties, the annual staff dinner/end-of-year meeting, and in the middle of it all, Ari's finals, always a bit of a cliff-hanger considering what a smart kid he is.  So I have a feeling that what it comes down to is: we'd just like to survive sophomore year of high school.  It's just a matter of enjoying all the other stuff along the way because it's mostly all good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment