Ever since I met Rod (over 30 years ago) he has had more than a few spots of basal cell carcinoma, that least nasty form of skin cancer, diagnosed (and removed) due to many bad childhood sunburns on very fair skin. Now, roughly at the same time I had my little (first-time) biopsy, he had two (count 'em, two) biopsies on suspicious spots.
So what happens? For the first time EVER, his spots are nothing. Mine (just above my breastbone, right where a necklace would hang) is "suspicious for basal cell carcinoma" or, as the dermatologist said "we don't even really consider that cancer." But, based on my current medical situation and the radiation I had in that area some years ago, she recommended Mohs surgery. Further explanation of Mohs can be found here http://www.skincancer.org/mohs-micrographic-surgery.html?gclid=CILJ8oKfpqkCFURd5Qod-VnIug
but suffice it to say, it's a method that ensures complete removal with the most desirable cosmetic results.
So tomorrow I'm having that done beginning at 7:10 in the morning (yawn) but hopefully to(a) be the first patient in so no backup yet and (b)get out of there sooner in the day.
When the nurse called me about two weeks ago to go over choosing the date and time, I asked all the usual (for me) questions:
Me: So, you need bloodwork and an EKG?
She: Um, no.
Me: Should I stop taking any of my medications now because it's only two weeks away?
She: No, take everything you usually do.
Me: No eating after midnight, or earlier because my appointment's so early?
She: We want you to eat, and drink.
Me: But if I drink, what will happen if I need to go to the bathroom during the surgery?
She: You get up and go.
Me: How early do you need me there for preparation - 5:30ish?
She: Just be on time.
So, you can see, I am now used to a whole 'nother world of surgery that this is clearly NOT. When I got off the phone after that call, I thought "she probably thinks I'm nuts." But when I read the presurgery directions they sent, they were heavy on the "make sure you eat well" and "bring snacks" - so funny!
Since there is at least one needle involved, I'll be fully prepared with my lidocaine cream slathered liberally on the area an hour ahead of time (I'm such a wimp.) The paperwork does indicate that they try to make it a long-acting shot so that the area stays numb for a really long time. Apparently they cut some off, stick a temporary bandage on you and send you out to a waiting room while they freeze and examine the tissue looking for clean margins, side to side as well as depth. So there's a lot of back and forth and in the worst case, I could be there all day. Hence, their main concern for prep is that you have comfortable clothes, enough food so you don't faint, and plenty to keep you busy while you wait.
This is the most "opposite" set of pre-surgery directions I have ever gotten - bring food, bring possessions! Nice change from the "we want to make you the most uncomfortable you've ever been before we maybe don't kill you under anesthesia so you can't do anything you usually do for at least two weeks and don't bring anything with you that makes you feel less anxious" directions of my four previous surgeries :)
The biopsy for the suspicious patch took a lot of care, since it was an open wound; tomorrow's surgery will leave me with stitches, which I have grown to appreciate. They aren't as pretty, but at least (after 24 - 48 hours) you can shower them and there will be a much smaller scar.
All this on what is predicted to be the hottest day of the year so far. I won't be out sunning, in any case!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That makes two friends having surgery tomorrow...lots of praying to do. I'm getting up early to get an early start.
ReplyDelete