Monday I started to tackle my "questions" list that I had composed over the weekend based on all the dreaded paperwork reading that Rod had done (I am so grateful.) It was easier to have him pass me things to sign - I didn't really have to read them closely. Rod gave me a summary of what each one contained, and he made it much less scary. And he guided me through making my list of questions. Once it was down on paper, also not quite so scary.
The beginning of the question answering - not so bad. Dr. McIntosh's nurse Pat was really helpful:
Do I have to be there at 7 a.m., really? no, we have time to scoot over to Dr. D'Amico's office first to get marked up for his part of the surgery, then check in at 8 a.m. Special radioactive injections for the sentinel node biopsy at 9, surgery at 10. (Just writing that made my heart go flippity-flop.)
What should I bring? Robe, slippers, warm socks (my necessity), toiletries, phone, charger (how modern are we?)
What about all the pre-testing that some of the paperwork is asking for? Nope. Just the two that I already booked for the 16th, bloodwork and a heart thing (I can never remember if it's EEG or EKG - it's just sticky things and a graph output of some kind.)
What about this washing exclusively with a special prescription soap for some days before? I'm trying to explain that my hair will be gross if I don't wash it with my shampoo and use conditioner. Not my hair, silly (she didn't say "silly" but I heard it) just my body. It's to try to kill as much bacteria as possible before the surgery. Duh.
Similarly, a nice call to Dr. D'Amico's office:
What about the second "follow-up" consultation, AND the special appointment with the nurse (who's only in on Tuesday and Thursday) to sign the paperwork? Already had the consultation, and not necessary. We can simply drop off the paperwork I signed after we do the hospital stuff on the 16th. (Dr. D'Amico's office is across the street from the hospital; he's the chief of plastic surgery there.) At the same time, I can pick up prescriptions for all the stuff I'll need right after the surgery, like valium (used to stop muscle spasms, not for my sanity) and the aforementioned special soap.
Note here that this simply dropping off stuff is a good thing. I try to stay out of the doctors' offices, and the hospital, as much as possible; although I know it doesn't actually change anything, it FEELS less awful. For the same reason, when I go for exams, I usually dress so that I don't have to take lots of time to change, put clothes in the teeny locker, etc. I spend a little less time there and the act of removing tons of my own clothes to put on the the gown and robe is just mentally harder. So if Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" were to show up at one of these visits, they'd be properly horrified by gray sweat pants, Crocs, and a camisole top covered by my favorite zippy sweatshirt! Easy off, easy on, easy to get the heck out of there.
Monday I also started to try dealing with the insurance company on my own. By the time I had spoken to the 3rd department in a row, I had gotten nowhere fast and they had already denied the fee for the initial consultation. Plus, one of the papers I have to deliver on the 16th is something I signed saying we would "guarantee" that the doc receives his fee (somewhere over $35,00) no matter what happens with the insurance company. I'm sure everyone has dealt with things like this, and I'll bet you all have your own insurance horror stories, whether they be about property damage or your health, but boy oh boy this was quite the frustrating hour or so on the phone. (Can't imagine how that will show up on the cellular bill!)
The bottom line was that I needed to have Dr. D'Amico's office call the insurance co. to acquire something called "gap exceptions" for all their work, since there is technically a "gap" in the coverage that allows us to use an out-of-network doctor. (This gap thing is actually good news, believe it or not.)
Yesterday I spoke to Dr. D'Amico's wonderful manager, Marie, who has answered all my questions so far. (I'm not sure I've actually met any of his nurses yet?) She said "Please don't worry about this; we will take care of it. You have other things to think about."
All well and good - but before I said good-bye I told her that I hoped we would know more about this before I hand in my signed "I promise you will be paid all that money" form next week. We shall see.
The one thing both Pat and Marie said was, "keep writing down your questions and bring them in when you come next week." Nice change from the not-so-good old days when the doctor (usually a man) said "do this" and you did it, no questions asked, and you just worried. I feel like I'm eliminating some of the worry, and I appreciate that they want me to feel less anxious and are willing to take the time to help it happen.
Between my lists for work, my lists for home, and my lists for the surgery, I should just carry around a whole stock of Post-It notes. Oh, wait a minute......:-p
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How amazing that amidst all the anxiety and questions, you can still make us laugh (Post-Its!). I hope we can all do the same for you!
ReplyDeleteHey, don't worry too much about the money - what are they going to do, put the breasts back on? :)
ReplyDeleteI remember being more afraid to sign the guarantee payment forms than any of the others. Both surgeons were out of network. One explained they would accept whatever the insurance company paid (after my deductible was met (which wasn't an issue). It didn't help that the other doctor's office reassured me, "we'll work it out". What the heck was that going to mean. I can report - they worked it out and I didn't owe them anything!:) Don't get why they can't tell you that upfront!
ReplyDelete