Thursday, June 3, 2010

How Did I Get to June Already?

Wow. It's June already. So although the school days for Ari seem to last forever, the days until my surgery are whizzing by. It's quite the paradox that while I want to fill my days with activity to a)get things done and b)not have time to think about what's coming, I still manage to "squander" time on Facebook Scrabble, Bejeweled Blitz,and sudoku, just to name a few.

Memorial Day weekend was not fast-moving; yet it was a blur anyway, you know what I mean? We had a lovely dinner with Evelyn and Jim on Thursday night, Friday night our congregation sent off our beloved Rabbi Joel Mosbacher in a hail of "have fun!" evenly balanced with "come home!" (So, it's possibly I was more on the "come home" side but I really do support the "have fun" part, honest!)

Saturday we visited Rod's parents in Connecticut and had a nice lunch out. Our sharp-eyed Alex & Ari noticed that it was Kent Lion's Club lobster festival, so their generous grandparents bought us 5 lobsters (already cooked, thank you very much) to take home with us. Poof - lobster dinner.

Then Sunday we went into Chinatown for my first official "Religious School is done" Sunday dim sum breakfast. Andrew and Jackie and her mom got Jackie moved out of her NYC apartment, and Jackie and Andrew came over later in the day. Andrew "felt like" hibachi (aka - let's go out for hibachi) so we did.

Off to the Mt. Fuji (an early Benihana knock-off) restaurant we've been going to since before the kids were born, where they slice and dice and throw food in the air and catch it in the top of their hats. (By now I figure the tops of those hats are really gross, but since I don't eat out of their hats I don't care.) I tried a Mt. Fuji Mohito - it was okay but I wouldn't do it again. If I'm going to drink something that's putting me to sleep a half hour later, it had better be amazing.

I think Monday morning we finally realized we hadn't gotten much done, so in a blaze of busy we did errands, paid bills, etc.

Tuesday was my first coverage of Rabbi's meetings and that was fun and interesting, and then our annual staff Whine and Dine got into full swing and we did a lot of great talking. I was pleased with myself that I was brave enough to try a text study before we started, even did the blessing for studying Torah first! Then everyone started talking at once, which is the norm, and even though we were supposed to end at 6:30, the last of us left after 8 p.m. Also normal, for sure. We are a very tightly-knit (sometimes tightly-wound, sometimes completely unwound) group and I love these teachers and all their different styles and personalities. They gifted me with two beautiful pieces of loungewear to make my recovery a little more luxuriously comfortable - an ultra soft pink robe and a button-up (necessary) soft nightshirt. Yummy.

Through this that and the other (some things were bothering me that it was not in my power to resolve) I didn't get to sleep until 12:45. Shoulda taken an Ambien but didn't - woke up at 4, then 6, then it's useless so oh well.

Yesterday taught one of my fabulous adult classes. They are so enthusiastic, and if you correct them they say "thank you" and when class is over they say "thank you" and well, it's just fabulous. (I am ever grateful to the rabbi for allowing me to do this - step out of my proverbial children's school hallway and into a different educational experience.)

Up at 2 a.m. today, but simply reached over for a half an Ambien and played sudoku and went back to sleep. It works. Somewhere in the night, Alex wrote the most amazing, lovely, wonderful thing on my Facebook Wall. I immediately pasted it into my phone to keep for when I need it. Alex, I hope you don't mind but I love it and it's going here too:

Mom,...That's really all I have to say. Without seeming cliche, you are absolutely the rock of my sanity. You have only ever made sense, and have only looked out for my interests. Despite any arguments we have ever had, I just want you to know that I love you, and know that I realize unconditional love is something that nobody should ever take for granted. You have helped me grow and succeed into what I am today and I thank you for it with all my heart.

I hope some of you are a little teary. I was bawling. And for a change, in a good way.

So today Elyssa, PBFFAPS (phenomenal BFF and psychic sister) is treating me to that pink piece of cotton candy of a movie, Sex and the City 2, and since it's in a mall, we MIGHT buy something, who knows? I have cleared my schedule and I'm hoping to leave most of my worries, for now, here at home. That would be pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment