Today I called Dr. McIntosh's office and asked the nurse, Pat, to set up the double mastectomy surgery, and to coordinate it with the plastic surgeon, Dr. D'Amico, for a reconstruction using implants. That's who we met on Tuesday and despite the fact that his website was pretty slick and I expected not to like him, I did.
It feels like the right decision. I always hated the idea of the longer surgery - this would be about a little more than a third of the time of the TRAM flap - and we have learned more about the possibility of long-term failure with using my own tissue from the abdomen. (It's greater due to the radiation I had on the left side back in '07. The radiation killed off all the potential cancer cells, but it also could limit that area's ability to make good circulation "reconnections". At least that's how I understand things to work. Or not, as the case may be.)
On Tuesday, Dr. D'Amico had asked us go home to think and to "take emotion out of the decision," which sounded like a complete impossibility. After all, logic was about as far from my brain as it could be at this point. But of course he was right; a big decision like this needs reason, and even though it could really only be mine to make, I needed to talk it through with Rod and also my dad.
Although I know (too many) people who have had wonderful experiences with, and highly recommend, the TRAM flap surgery, apparently it is not for me.
After she told me the surgery would probably be around the first or second week of June (but she'll call with the date,) and before she said good-bye, Pat said I had made a "good decision." Now, I don't know that she doesn't say that to everyone, but I know it made me feel better and right now better is how I'd like to feel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ricki, congratulations on getting the decision made. I'm sure you feel better just having a plan. FWIW, your choice is exactly what I did, so I'd be happy to show you what they look like 10 years later!
ReplyDeletesounds like you thought it through - on to the next thing!!!
ReplyDeleteJust caught up with your blog. Glad to hear that you have a plan, which is certainly the first step, and now the difficult decision making is behind you. Wishing you all the best with your surgery, and a quick recovery. Will help out in any way we can.
ReplyDeleteBarbara and Phil
I also think you made a great decision, the implants is a shorter surgery,a much faster recovery and they look great. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision...but I feel well and that is the important thing. You will too and now that the decision is made I bet you feel better already. I know I did, do not second guess yourself. You are strong, believe in yourself and let others help.
ReplyDeleteI just checked your link again for the 1st time since last Tuesday and was happy in the 1st place to see that it works! Now, I am glad to see that you have your plan in place and are moving forward...If you ever want to kvetch to anyone - please call on me! When I am not mouthing off, I really am a good listener! ;)
ReplyDelete