I'm posting tonight because I said we were going to the oncologist today and we did. (It's not that I think you all are out there just hanging around waiting to hear something, but just in case you are.....)
Along with seeing her again and re-verifying for ourselves that she's smart, realistic, up to date on all the newest studies, and completely kind and caring, Dr. Ligresti gave us things to think about towards making some kind of surgical decision. She really won't come back into the picture until we find out more about this particular cancer, which (partially due to the less dramatic biopsy I had this time) won't be known until a surgery and a bigger sample can be examined.
Tomorrow we'll consult with a plastic surgeon to see what is possible should it come to a reconstruction, but only one thing is clear: Rod & I will talk (and knowing us, there will probably be a spreadsheet of some kind involved) and hopefully we'll come to the conclusion that there is one option we're more comfortable with.
Then we'll make a decision, call the breast surgeon to get the ball rolling, and wait to see if we have any pick of dates or if we just go when she (Dr. McIntosh) says. She's already booking surgeries into June, and if she does need to coordinate with a plastic surgeon, get on the surgical calendar at the hospital, etc., well, who knows what that means for timing.
Minor bit of good news - contrary to what I've been hearing about the time the bigger operation would take (anywhere from 6 to 9 hours,) she estimates 4 hours.
Funny how one's definition of good news changes, isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for your post Rebecca. I was thinking about you today and waiting to hear some news. I only wish you didn't have to wait weeks and weeks to get this all behind you, but you're an inspiration to all of us, and I'm so glad you feel comfortable sharing your thoughts and experiences. It's a gift to those of us who care about you, and I for one, wanted to say thank you.
ReplyDelete