Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not So Much, Today

Hard to believe it's almost the weekend again. This morning my stupid back (and leg) pain woke me at 4 a.m. and I couldn't go back to sleep until 5:45. Unfortunately the alarm went off this morning at 6:10 because we had to get Ari to meet the choir bus at school for their choral festival at Great Adventure. Somehow he got up, ate breakfast, dressed, and was out in the car in time for us to get him to the high school at 7 a.m.

When I got home from my lovely adult Hebrew class later in the morning, I opened the mail and there were all these documents from both surgeons: pre- and post- operative instructions, dire warnings about complications, "here's how much you owe if the insurance company doesn't pay" notices; in short, reality dropped like a brick in the form of sheets and sheets of paper in two thick envelopes.

That stuff just haunted me for the rest of the day, even after I had tossed it all in a pile, in a bag, in the corner for Rod to look at later. I know leaving it for Rod doesn't make it go away, nor will it be any easier for him to read and digest than it was for me. But I had to physically put it "away" somewhere. (Maybe I'll make photocopies and burn them. I wonder if that would help?)

A really nice thing in the middle of today was a sushi lunch (a promised Mother's Day gift, thank you Andrew) with Andrew and Alex.

Meanwhile, back at the high school, the choir bus that was supposed to return at 5 p.m. did not get in until almost 7. This delay meant that Ari did not get to his homework until well after 9 p.m., and he's tired to start with. Frankly, everybody's tired to start with so it's not a happy situation all the way around this evening.

It was really nice to have lunch with the "big" boys today, and I don't want to minimize that, but right at the moment I'm not feeling terribly sane or strong. Maybe it was just one of those really crappy days and tomorrow I'll bounce back. That would be terrific.

2 comments:

  1. Just finished catching up on your blog - hope by today you are feeling better - I know how difficult the waiting is - hopefully the writing helps. It helps me if that's any consolation. Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete