Monday, May 10, 2010

But Mother's Day Was Lovely

Friday night was Sisterhood Shabbat and there were a lot of great readings. At the end some of us got up and led "Miriam's Song" and I really thought I was feeling better. Hah.

Saturday dawned rainy and dark and I was looking forward to my morning with Ari. We were supposed to go to services, then drop off the dry cleaning, turn in some ink at Staples (and maybe buy a little something) and then hit Starbuck's on the way home. It was a good plan, and it would have been great, except I realized too late that probably Ari hadn't bought into it. (Too late meaning after I was dressed and ready to go and he wasn't.)

So, off in a huff I went, which downgraded to a (and I believe this would be appropriate to the atmospheric and psychological outlook at the time) tropical depression the closer I got to the synagogue. By the time I arrived, I could not figure out how to "fix" myself, and I hoped that I could get kind of lost in Shabbat and maybe it (or she, technically) would do that for me. Again, Hah.

In an effort to continually not start crying during such an obviously joyful occasion for the two young men becoming B'nai Mitzvah and their friends and family, I left before the first hour was up and continued to the dry cleaner, and Staples where (imaginary angelic choir sings in background here) the literal and figurative sun came out, I found 4 packages of glitter glue that were on my school-prep-for-next-year shopping list in the clearance bin (!) and two shapes of Post-It notes I didn't have, which were covered completely by my Ink rewards coupon and were therefore free. HAH!

On to Starbuck's for a sandwich and a black tea latte (tastes like the "sick" tea I used to have when I was little, with all the milk and sugar) and home to sip, study, sit and smell the sun-scented breezy fresh air through the screen door.

I spent a long time like that, only stopping for the welcome visit of our friends the Mosbachers who had "hiked" over (okay, a half mile around the block, but it was a half mile back too, and uphill) with Elyssa's freshly baked scones. By then I had forgiven Ari for his inadvertent tipping the balance of my precarious mental state. He just happened to be there at the time when the inevitable finally happened, I figure.

I was due this 24 hours; I just didn't see it coming. And, I'll bet I'm due another one (or two or three) somewhere before this whole stupid ordeal is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment