When I last reported the unfortunately timed drip-cough-throat situation on January 2, I said it had started 5 days before the surgery, which led some readers to think the surgery wasn't until 5 days after that, or January 7. (Coincidence that the 7th is today, but the surgery was, indeed, on the 4th.)
Perhaps it was not so clearly stated, but entirely forgivable under the Blog Writer's Code of Self-Absolution, which I just made up (and shall unashamedly fall back on for future incidents of ambiguous postings.)
Yes, it's now a cold. (as in, when I told everyone taking care of me in Pre-Op that I just had a little drip and cough they said "it'll probably be a full-blown cold soon.") So far, it is not a sinus infection. Everyone keep your fingers crossed.
So, ON THE 4th, they used general anesthesia, which meant a tube in my already-sore throat. This has hampered recovery "just a tad." I did have a minor (3 or 4 tears) meltdown when the anesthesiologist told me about it. But in the end, out cold is out cold and once you trust your doctors, that's that. Besides, I had slathered my arm with lidocaine cream in advance and after a few tries, they got the IV into a place where it did not hurt. Small but significant victory in the battle to find roses amongst the thorns. And no drains this time. Woohoo!
Although there is only one incision, in the same spot where the original was from June, all of the pain is coming from work done under the surface, some kind of support structure built and anchored with stitching to my ribcage, or something like that. This requires a big adhesive tape/gauze combo that is actually glued to me and runs from under my right arm all the way across my front. It has to stay there for at least the next two weeks and IT CAN'T GET WET! (Ever enigmatic, the doctor's answer to "how long does this have to stay on?" was "we'll see.")
Yesterday at the follow up appointment the nurse (as gently as she could) peeled off the big patch of tape, etc. and the doctor re-applied a new one. He told me to "stop acting like such a patient" and "get off all that medication" (which he had prescribed, thank you very much.) So, I have packed away the valium and the percoset in the nightstand drawer (for just in case) and going forward will try to get along on extra strength Tylenol until they will let me go back to my beloved Advil.
For those of you who have had any kind of surgery that somehow affects your rib area, you know that coughing really adds insult to the injury, literally. So, I try to always be near some kind of cushion to hug tight!
Rod found a vaporizer buried in our accumulation of "stuff" in a closet and it has made a huge difference. Between that, my Ricola cherry-honey drops, magically self-replacing Kleenex boxes, Sudafed and a steady supply of soup from friends, this unfortunate complication is made bearable.
Besides, it has taken my mind off of trying to figure out how to get through the next two weeks without a "real" shower..............
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Feeling any better, Rebecca? You need anything? Wish I could DO something. Thinking of you. xxoo, Barbara
ReplyDelete