I wanted to share a video I saw on Facebook that, as a responsible adult who has a lot of "student" FB friends, I cannot share there.
http://greatergood.me/1ATibab
The preview guarantees you will laugh. I smiled a bit, but mostly I cried. (Happy? Sad? Hard to tell.) Frankly, I have no idea. And it looks like all of these people had chemo, which I did not. I think the one thing people who have no experience with breast cancer
will find really funny is the woman who say, "Want to feel them? Go ahead,
feel them!"
Oddly enough, that's the one thing I would NOT ask people to do, since I don't think they "feel" natural at all. As a matter of fact, I worry when I hug people that they're going to think "boy, I can really tell those aren't real."
And when I leaned over the back seat of a friend's car to get at something in the "way back", I just couldn't. The parts of me that would usually flatten a bit and flex and essentially, get out of the way, did not. I consciously had to readjust my position and try again. I've already written about bumping into things without realizing it - me and the Roomba.
There ought to be a session of some kind before a mastectomy (not just for people whose friends throw them a party, but for everyone) where you get to feel your real breasts - really feel them, and try to remember what they feel like. (Maybe make a video.) Also, you should be sure to take a photo to help you remember...
I need something to remind me that what I have now looks better instead of what I'm pretty sure were kind of droopy. I do not need anything to remember that what I have now is not going to kill me. That much I know. BUT, I wish to hell that I could remember what I was, what they were, how I looked, and how they felt.
The only thing missing from this video is "Wanna see 'em?" THAT, I would say to you, any time you want. If it keeps just one person from feeling afraid to have this potentially life-saving surgery because of what he/she might look like afterward, I can help with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment