Saturday, September 20, 2014

Facebook 5-Day Gratitude Challenge

Since a friend had "tagged" me to do one of those gratitude challenges which asks you to list 3 things you're grateful for each day for 5 days, I decided just this once to do it.  But I broke the rules, a little, since I didn't "tag" more people to take the challenge.  Gradually, I become more and more intrigued by the idea that thinking really hard about what I was grateful for, beyond typical things like "I'm grateful I slept until my alarm went off" or "I'm grateful  that my gas tank was not actually empty as I rolled in on fumes to the gas station" reinforced the idea that all in all, there's a lot to be thankful for.

So, reprinted here, with a few edits, is my answer to the 5 day gratitude Facebook challenge:

As much as I'm not a big "get tagged and do something" kind of person, thank you to Lisa Lamster for getting me to post 3 things I'm grateful for - for 5 days. Ordinarily I'd put this kind of stuff in my blog but I've been too busy to write there. So - Day 1:

1. I'm grateful for my husband of 30 years Rod McVeigh for teaching me not only how to fix things and enhance/embrace my inner geek, but for showing me the importance of family; he is a dedicated son, spouse, father, and brother.

2. I'm grateful for my dad Arthur Bernstein (who isn't on Facebook but if he was he'd have more friends than me!) If I have one fourth of his sense of humor, his compassion, and his common sense and even a smidgen of his faith, and it continues with Andrew McVeigh, Alex McVeigh, and Ari McVeigh, that would be pretty awesome.

3. I'm grateful for my in-laws Tom and Maggie McVeigh. Never once have I felt like a "daughter-in-law." I have always felt like a member of the family and I have always felt appreciated. I know how rare that is.


Gratitude Challenge Day 2:

1. Although not my favorite day (because it's the longest day of my workweek) I am grateful for Monday...and Tuesday...and Wednesday...all the days, all the weeks, all the months, and all the years. I'm pretty sure I spent a lot of time not being grateful enough, but I sure am now.

2. I'm grateful for my friends who put up with a bit 'o crazy and still stick around. You teach me how to be a friend and let me practice on you And bonus points for those who have gone to various doctors with me when Rod can't make it. That's a special kind of devoted.

3. I still have no idea what I did to deserve my amazing "job" and the tremendous satisfaction I get from doing it (most days.) But I'm grateful to all of the people who work with me, both professionals and lay leaders. I couldn't do it without you.


Gratitude Challenge, Day 3:

1. I'm grateful that my breast cancer was caught early - twice. It might still be lurking, but each day that passes I dwell on it just a little less. There's a victory in there somewhere.
2. I'm grateful that I have doctors who do their jobs well. From the surgeons and oncologist to the other medical/dental professionals who I've been lucky enough to find along the way, they continue to care for me with kindness and skill. And I cannot overstate the importance of decent health insurance. I don't know where I'd be without it.
3. I'm grateful that I have places to go and things to do, even though I might complain and you tell me I look "tired." Probably I am tired, but I'm never bored.
 


Gratitude Challenge, Day 4:

1. I'm grateful for my daughter-in-law, Jackie D'Arminio. She's smart, she's sassy, she asks for (and sometimes even takes) my advice, and she loves my son. (I told you she's smart!) And she writes a really cool blog at jackieandthefarmbox.blogspot.com.

2. I'm grateful that my boys (none of whom are still, technically, "boys,") continue to say "I love you." And they mean it. AND it comes with hugs and kisses.

3. I'm grateful that Andrew and Jackie entrusted me with the TEMPORARY custody of two of the softest creatures on the planet, twin chinchilla boys named Mario and Luigi. These little guys have cheered me up through a lot of down times.
 


Gratitude Challenge, Day 5:

1. I’m grateful that my boys eat lots of different foods, and to my husband, Rod McVeigh, who made this possible by encouraging them to try things from an early age. He shared his multicultural upbringing and love of “exotic” delicacies with us all. I am additionally grateful that somehow my children do not have food allergies, and have boundless admiration for all parents who keep their children with food allergies safe and happy on a daily basis.

2. It may sound cliché but I’m grateful to have the chance to say “thank you” not just in these 5 days, but also that my workplace encourages random statements of gratitude the same way we encourage random acts of kindness. It’s not a part of our official mission statement, but it is cultivated and modeled by Rabbi Joel Mosbacher who thanks us all the time. It encourages me to “pay forward” the gratitude.

3. Last but not least (and having come full circle in this endeavor,) I am grateful again to Lisa Lamster for starting me on this 5-day exercise. It has really made me think about all the good things and wonderful people in my life. I hope you know how thankful I am for you all, and I encourage you to pass it along, one way or the other.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment