A brief report from Monday's Jekyll/Hyde-like visit: the doctor removed the right-hand drain (yay!) but then took a look at the left surgical site and said I had an infection and that if the strong antibiotic (Cipro) he was about to prescribe did not start knocking it back in 24 hours, then I was going directly to the hospital for intravenous antibiotic "cocktails" and if that didn't work he was going to surgically remove the expander from the left side. (He feels strongly that this is all the result of the radiation I had four years ago, and that in all probability I will need a different kind of surgery for a good final outcome - involving using a muscle from the back of my left shoulder.)
He drew an outline around the infected area with a blue marker and said that if the redness went outside the marked lines within 24 hours, I should come back to see him, with a bag packed for the hospital.
I managed to fit in all 3 doses of my first day's worth of medication between the time I got home (about 7:30 p.m.) and bedtime. (And it was fine, for all you doctors/pharmacy experts, etc.) The redness started to abate, almost imperceptibly but for sure, and a little hope sprung up. Poor Rod; from the time I went to bed that night through the next day, every time he turned around I was lifting up or pulling down my shirt and asking him if it looked "any better." (Yes, some of that ole' magic is gone for the time being.)
Today was the go/no go doctor visit. He took out the other drain (said he was pretty sure it had done all it was going to do) and pronounced the infection beaten back enough to allow me to leave on Saturday with Rod and the boys for our annual trip to the Cape. I am going to keep up with the antibiotic for an extra week, just to be on the safe side.
I have been ordered to limit my upper body activity to prevent the formation of more fluid (now that it has no easy escape route.) And, the doctor re-drew the blue lines around the infected area. He further instructed me (Rod) to draw the lines each time before a shower and draw them again after every shower. If anything should start to redden where it was not before, we are to call his office, get in the car, and drive back to NJ, directly to the hospital.
It was then that he said, "You're going to need to get yourself a Sharpie." If I had not ridden such an interminably long emotional roller coaster these past few weeks, I would have laughed (as possibly a few of you are doing already.)
My Sharpie marker collection at work is carefully guarded by my aides - a hot commodity for anyone who wants "real" color instead of the washable markers we keep in the classrooms - and a huge inside joke, I'm sure (okay, so maybe not so inside.) I have tended it as one does a garden - making sure all the caps are on tightly, adding to the collection over the past years as I find new colors available (and on sale,) keeping them organized in special sectioned-off containers, weeding out the ones past their prime to make space for the strong - adding this year hot pink, mint green, powder blue, a peachy color, and a lovely lilac.
If I wanted to make life more interesting, I guess I (Rod) could re-ink my "infection corral" lines every day in a different color. But you know what? Life has has been interesting enough around here lately.
Instead, maybe we're better off with some un-interesting time sitting under trees by the lake. Add clam chowder, perhaps a lobster dinner, the penny candy store, several lightweight novels, some study I've been too keyed up (or dragged down) to enjoy, falling asleep (sleeping!) to the sound of the lake's gentle "waves" lapping up against the shore, visits with my dad and my brothers and their families..........sounds like a plan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just go to Cape Cod and enjoy yourself. You deserve a break.
ReplyDeleteThe Cape is wonderful! I can't think of a better place to heal in body and spirit!
ReplyDelete