Thursday, July 1, 2010

News from the front lines

Actually, I have no idea what the scars are going to look like. For now, I'm avoiding mirrors.
I am, however, home. And the initial reports on the sentinel node biopsy are all clear.

There is some "discomfort" but right now it's almost all in my left shoulder/upper arm area. My guess is that during the surgery they move whatever they need to out of their way and hold it there for a while. The fact that this particular pain showed up almost exactly 24 hours after the surgery is, I feel, not a coincidence and is therefore a muscle injury of some kind. So I'm icing it.

Got my extra strength Tylenol (no advil allowed) my antibiotics and my drain maintenance to keep track of. And then the instructions to sit up straight, walk around a little, practice deep breathing with this Machiavellian plastic contraption,and not lift anything heavier than a teacup or a telephone. (plastic surgeon's words exactly - I couldn't have made that one up.)

Rod helped me with the biggest adventure of the last 24 hours - taking a shower - yes, with all the drains and novocaine tubes still attached Thanks to Elyssa for the suggestion on how to make it a little easier. That worked.

And a HUGE thank you with a hug (when I'm able) to Jackie, who arrived in the house, assessed the situation and started Andrew and Ari into action. In no time at all everyone had a plate of the delicious food Iris had brought over, clean laundry that had mysteriously remained unsorted got sorted and put away, leftovers were stowed in the fridge (thanks to Elyssa's earlier space-making rearranging,) and by the time Rod rolled in at 7:30 all he had to do was eat something.

Hospital details (some) coming when I can sort out what's worth sharing and what's simply whiny. I will say that Englewood Hospital is a world-class medical facility and their staff is, on the whole, very kind and caring. They want you to heal, learn to take care of yourself, and get out of there.

Any misbegotten fantasy about my hospital stay - getting rest, catching up on some reading, studying; in short, any self-centered activity I thought I would have the luxury of doing while "laid up" was simply that, a fantasy. I imagine many of you out there shaking your heads while saying "well, duh!"

Thank you to all for your well wishes, and I am especially grateful that for now they are coming in emails, text messages, and Facebook messages. I am not really up to phone calls or visits from anyone other than a very small group.

Tomorrow we will go to see the plastic surgeon and if the drains are finished then he'll undo those stitches and pull them out. I'm hoping that will trigger a better mental picture for me. We are also waiting to hear the final pathology reports on the sentinel node biopsy and the cancerous tissue they removed. Good news in that department, i'm sure, will make a big difference.

Rod has been most amazing, starting with the hundreds of details he's been managing from the beginning, including his charging around the hospital yesterday afternoon trying to get me discharged, continuing through the shower scene this morning.........Ari not only unpacked and put away all my clothes from the bag when I got home, but sorted a whole basket of clean laundry. He now serves as all-around go-fer and call screener/bouncer. (for all who know him, the picture of my 5'7" beanpole as bouncing anyone is kind of funny, no?) That's why he's a phone bouncer:)

Andrew does what Jackie (gently suggests) says, as does Alex. The whole family is full of caring, concern and will come if I call. (which I'm trying not to do. Gotta do some walking around.)

You know how you start the week on Monday and then all of a sudden it's almost Friday and you wonder where the time went? This week, I'm not wondering at all, and I'm glad this particular leg of the voyage is over.

1 comment:

  1. May there only be smooth sailing from now on!
    (Gentle) hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete