We met with Dr. D'Amico in early May - I timed it to be 6 months, almost exactly, after my last surgery. As expected, he was very happy with his own work. I mentioned to him that I figured some of the transplanted fat had "died" and he admitted that some had, but he did not say anything like "we might want to take a look at fixing this here" or "so, are you happy with everything?" implying that there might be something I'm not happy with.
I got the go ahead to stop wearing the pressurized undergarments 12 hours a day. (I asked if everything was now officially "stuck back together" and he said yes.) So, now that 6 months had actually passed, it seems that there might not be any more surgeries.
However, he did start up again with the aureola tattooing, which he feels strongly should be done - or, as he says (somewhat inelegantly for him, I thought) - a car with no headlights is not complete. I have resisted this so far for various reasons: it's too soon, it might not be right (it's soooo permanent), it's too soon, what if I have a thin white shirt I want to wear, it's too soon! He doesn't understand this, and to be honest, I'm not sure I do either. But I am more positive about this than I am about just about anything else (okay, I'm positive I hate cilantro leaves) and after everything I have been through I think I deserve to be really ready. When he leaves the room, the nurse furtively whispers to me "It's your body - you should do what you want."
But...as he surveys all the skin surrounding his handiwork, his eyes light on two moles I've had all my life, as far as I can tell. Actually, through all the surgeries I secretly hoped their removal would be involved, but alas, they survived the blade every time. He says to me, "Do you like those?" "Nope," I reply, before I can stop myself. "How about I remove those for you for free if you let me do the tattoo reconstruction?" Free plastic surgery? If I've learned anything from all the tussles with the insurance company, it's that plastic surgery is really, really expensive. So, I am sorely tempted. However, I have now successfully avoided the decision for another six months, when I see him again.
Somehow, I am still not. quite. ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment