First of all, thank you to my dad, who suggested the name for this entry!
So, this morning Louie's tissue expander went bye-bye in a brief and reasonably non-traumatic fashion. The worst of it was the IV placement, subsequent bruising, and accompanying pain. I do hate that stupid thing on the back of my hand! (which is still pretty sore.........) At any rate, we got to the hospital a little after 6:30, I went in for the surgery around 7:50, was in recovery by 9:15 (or maybe earlier, but it's when I remember looking at a clock) and we left at 10 a.m. With, yes, a drain. And a very, very odd physique under the bandages. But to paraphrase the wise Dr. Arthur Bernstein (aka Daddy,) from now on it's just going to be a matter of a couple of months until I "get even" and I have to keep reminding myself of that. In the meantime, I've purchased some materials that should work under my clothes to let me feel a little better about my outside self for now.
In the post-surgical chat, Dr. D'Amico told Rod that he was pleasantly surprised by the condition that the tissue was in, and that he thought the "big" surgery might be scheduled as early as a month from now. I've made my followup appointments, can't drive until the weekend, and the first shower is allowed on Thursday.
One of the benefits of writing this blog is that I can go back and read, after the fact, my entries concerning what I was anxious about. It's amazing how non-threatening they seem when you read that they've already gone by, as opposed to things that have yet to happen and are therefore still unknown. And, I can make myself smile when I re-read and remember that healing trip to Staples, the amazing ordination ceremony of David Segal, and all the other good things that have happened along the way.
Okay - hand hurts and I think it's time to take a little break. All in all, not such a bad day, so far :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also think that one of the benefits of the Blog will be the chance to remind yourself how fortunate you are and what you went through to be a Survivor. Not to dwell but to stop a little while and move on.
ReplyDeleteUntil I read Getting Even I did not twig that my IV was in a better place than previous operations I have had. The IV was placed on my left arm about one inch above the wrist, yes, it was far more comfortable.
Enjoy your shower today ..... love always, Luiza